Victim scared to go out alone after couple threw liquid at her face in Dundee robbery

A Dundee student feared acid had been thrown in her face during a city centre robbery.

John Hutton and Stacey Boyd, both aged 32, pounced on their victim as she walked home after celebrating handing in a university assignment.

Since her ordeal the student has been too scared to go out alone, according to a victim impact statement presented to Dundee Sheriff Court.

Hutton, of Strathmore Road, and Boyd, a prisoner at Edinburgh, admitted assaulting the woman on Ward Road on April 23, throwing an unidentified liquid in her face and robbing her of a rucksack containing headphones, perfume, keys and a key ring.

An original charge said the pair told the victim the liquid was acid but this was later removed from the charge as the pair  said they had no recollection of saying it.

Sheriff Carmichael warned Hutton and Boyd they were facing jail for the attack.

Solicitor Jim Caird, representing Boyd, said: “She fully accepts responsibility and is embarrassed and ashamed.

“She is aware this is a serious matter. She has already spent five months in custody in relation to this.”

Hutton was said to be “remorseful” about the incident.

The court heard on the evening in question the student had handed in university coursework and attended an art exhibition before going for drinks at a friend’s house in Commercial Street.

At around midnight she was walking home when a liquid substance was thrown in her face and she became aware of someone grabbing her rucksack, before making off with it.

She didn’t suffer any adverse effects from the liquid, the court was told.

She went home straight after the attack and went to bed, but later confided in her flatmate and reported the incident to police.

When officers reviewed CCTV cameras they observed Hutton and Boyd wandering around Dundee city centre “for no reason” and then following the victim.

Police found Hutton in the vicinity of Dundee Sheriff Court while Boyd was found in the cells after being detained in relation to another matter.

Sheriff Carmichael deferred sentencing until November 22 to allow for background reports, refusing Boyd’s application for bail and also remanding Hutton.